Goju literally translated means hard/soft. "Go" means physical hardness and strength of character. "Ju" is the gentleness which flows from it. "Ryu" means style.
Beginning Goju Ryu
Some clubs allow you to participate in a session before you join to help you decide if you want to continue with karate. To find a club near you, check our Dojo List. Some dojos have different priorities to others, so the best thing you can do is go along and try it out to see if you like it. In any case, here is some information you may find helpful while you are starting:
- Common words and phrases
- Rank and grading
- More karate terminology
- The Kata of Goju Ryu
- Vital points
- Zen and Karate
- Respect others
- Be courageous
- Train your mind and body
- Practice daily and protect traditional karate
- Strive to reach the essence of Goju-Ryu
- Never give up
Higaonna Morio Sensei
Precepts of Okinawa Goju Ryu Karate-do
- It should be known that secret principles of Goju Ryu exist in the kata.
- Goju Ryu Karate-do is a manifestation within one's own self of the harmonious accord of the universe.
- The way of Goju Ryu Karate-do is to see the way of virtue.
Miyagi Chojun Sensei